Sunday, 16 February 2014

Guest Blog: Emma Oughtibridge


Incised Lines - Crossing Boundaries

 
These are my husband's incised marks held within his plaster moulds, as a by-product of his hand-building. These free flowing geometric shapes inspire me to create a painting as simple, and stunning as the marks inside this shell. I love the matt texture of the plaster and the precise dark lines of the incisions on the soft internal husk of the moulds. I am fascinated by Ben Nicholson's work, and relate to it's correlation to the sculptural process. I can see a direct link here, maybe to his influences. 

 
I have instinctively been adding symbols, marks, lines and scratches to my abstract works, but never saw the link to other media until recently.

Going to visit The Hepworth gallery in Wakefield has definitely given me fresh insight, especially seeing the maquettes and plaster work of Barbara Hepworth.

I now have a carving knife in my repertoire of texturing tools, mainly because I have been producing abstracts in clay. It just happened to be lying around today in my studio, and so I picked it up, by accident, and started to carve into the dry paint. I was pleased with the controlled, deep and sharp lines created.
My ceramicist husband, James Oughtibridge, has begun to introduce surface texture to his own work. Just as in painting, it will add depth to the surface and engage the viewer on a deeper level with the piece itself; tactile qualities being equally important for both of us.


They add something instinctively familiar, but ancient and primitive too, a human connection of what went before perhaps. They also connect the object with what it is made from; telling a story about the making.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment